The original galley faucet was a Moen, sprayer All in One thing. It’s the kind of faucet in tons of homes and probably in a lot of boats too. The first week we were on Serenity it worked fine, then as the days progressed the flow turned to a trickle. I’ve seen babies pee with more pressure than our faucet had. We checked the water pressure and it was good. Cleaned out the tiny screen on the faucet. No help. We decided the works were jammed up in the faucet hose and there was no way to fix it. Time for a brand new faucet. Oh, and the other thing that drove me batty… the hot and cold sides were reversed. I mean, it’s not that hard. There are only 2 hoses. Mark them before you install. Sheesh. Okay, back to the matter at hand.
We trekked to The Home Depot to see their offerings. While I like Moen products for home use I didn’t want a similar faucet, fearing the same issue would occur down the line. We checked pretty much every faucet and nothing matched what we needed; measurement and aesthetic wise. What’s a girl to do? Quick, to the Internet! After searching to and fro I landed on the Scandvik “Nordic” faucet. It seemed ideal; tall spout that would reach both sides of the sink, tall enough to put a pot under, single lever control, sleek looks, and good price thanks to http://www.defender.com. I eagerly awaited its arrival.
It shows up and I carefully remove it from the box. It’s heavy which is a pleasant surprise. With no fingerprints, no water spots and no soapy residue it’s very very shiny. Another no? No instructions. Hmmm. Well, okay, no big deal. We’ve installed plenty of faucets before. But wait, what’s this? I look at the bottom of the faucet and Scandvik went some funky, C clamp, threaded post thing versus the threaded all the way around, cinch it up tight to the underside of the counter method. What what??!!
Initially we installed it with just the C clamp and post thingy. No go. The post thingy caused a pivot point so you couldn’t turn on the faucet without the whole thing tipping towards you. We pondered options. Giant washer? No. Wire threaded around the post then screwed to the underside of the counter. Maybe…. Then of course Tim comes up with brilliant plan. Use a block of wood, with a hole drilled through to accommodate the post, then 4 screws to the (thankfully wood and not Corian) underside of the counter. The result: a super stable faucet. We smooshed some of the handy dandy butyl tape under the faucet for waterproofing, and we’re just about there. Now to the hose installation. Dum da DUUUUMMMM!
As per the online specs I needed 1/2″ NPS-F fittings. Huh? After futilely buying and trying 2 different fittings, and dousing the underside of the galley sink twice due to the fittings, well, not fitting, we were stumped. Frustration!! Tim decided to try the same thing we did for the head sink. A fitting that is barbed on one end for the water hoses and threaded on the other for the faucet hoses. Not elegant or pretty but it works great. With the water hoses finally hooked up – in the correct way no less – we flipped on the water pump. No water spewing from the fittings. YAY! We turned on the faucet. After the baby piss pressure from yore the faucet was practically Niagara Falls. With a final double check tightening of the hose clamps we were done with the faucet installation. Hooray running water! May I present our new Galley Faucet in all its chromed out goodness.